Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sex in the Media: Where Is the Line Drawn?





Hello, my name is Violet Stone, editor and chief of Strength Publishing, a women's publishing company created for authors focusing on feminist ideals. Looking at this advertisement, my stomach curdles. No, not because I am a diehard carnivore, rather because besides the large bold print in the middle of the picture, vegetarianism is no where to be seen. Looking at this picture, males are immediately drawn to the flash of the word "VEGETARIAN" and the sprawled out beauty underneath, and left drooling and completely entranced by the picture. This advertisment, laced with subliminal messages, suggests to men that if they choose to become vegetarians that they will have something in common with this stunning woman, and will find happiness through sex in the future. Why are women subjected these days merely for the curves of their bodies rather than their intelligence? Touching upon the gripping topic of body image, this advertisement screams to all women, "If you want your body to look like mine, all you have to do is become a vegetarian". Yet another blow to the self esteem of many women young and old, it attempts to mold their thinking to believe that "this is how you are supposed to look"; anything else is just socially unacceptable.

2 comments:

  1. Mikaela- As a vegetarian myself, I find this ad repulsive and I completely agree with you! This advertisement has totally lost sight of its intentions. After all, what are they "selling" here? Women, or the idea of a vegetarian lifestyle? I love how you not only discussed feminism and the constant degradation of the female sex, but also the unfortunate conformity in today's society, and how women's desire is to epitomize women on TV and in advertisements. I also love how you depicted the ways in which a male would interpret this ad. Very interesting point of view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikaela, I really enjoyed your interpretation of the vegetarian ad. Being a guy, I understood the sex appeal to the male population but I thought it was interesting that you brought up the effects on the female body image which I didn't think of right away. Good find and great point of view!

    ReplyDelete